Tuesday, February 3, 2009

How to Have Your Best Recession EVER Tip #4


Recognize That Good Outcomes Come From Bad Events

Take a look at your partner or best friend. Then ask yourself: If everything went the way you planned, would that person be with you now? If you had gotten every job you wanted, lived everywhere you wanted, and spent all the money you wanted, would this person be in your life now?

In my case, I can say definitely no. Meeting my partner was the result of MANY tragic things that happened in my life, the least of which was getting evicted and not being able to afford to live in San Francisco. Writing my book was the result of not being able to find work when I moved to New York. Everything that is wonderful in my life now is the end result of not getting what I wanted at some point.

The Recession can teach all of us how to adjust and thrive in the midst of disappointment and inconvenience. We can learn and grow from these events, or we can play victim and suffer. We cannot control the Recession, but we can control how we react to the Recession. If you choose to use this time as an opportunity instead of tragedy, then you will have your Best Recession EVER!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You said it!! I love you and your infectious spirit, Damon. You are so right on.