Saturday, October 2, 2010

Little Miracles Everywhere 3


If you watched the evening news this week in New York, you no doubt were told about all the things that had gone wrong in the city, and all the things that may go wrong in the future. Terrorism, murders, disease, tornadoes all par for the course when it comes to trying to scare New Yorkers.

However, I had another one of those little miracle incidents that will never make it on the news. I was coming into a subway station in Times Square after having a wonderful discussion with ONE LIFE TO LIVE's Shenell Edmonds (which will be posted at welovesoaps.net).  It was raining and there were lines to get in.  As I swiped my card through, the meter read, "Please swipe again at this turnstile." So I did as I was told.  "Please swipe again at this turnstile."  Lines got longer.  I swiped my card again.  On the third try it said, "Just used."  Yes, the wonderful MTA took my $2.25 fare without letting me in.  To add insult to injury, there was no station agent (due to cutbacks) and no one to report this to.

My only option was to buy another pass.  Instead, a young woman behind me swiped me in!  I could not believe a complete stranger would essentially give me $2.25 for positively no reason.  "Consider it my good deed of the day," she said, and ran off on her way.

This event will not make any news shows.  It will not get in any newspapers.  If this young woman had shot/ hit/ assaulted me, hundreds of people would have known about it.  Instead only the 15-16 people who read this blog will know about his little miracle in Times Square today. 

There are little miracles everywhere if you look hard enough.  I was blessed to have one appear today. Are you seeing any yet? 

Damon L. Jacobs is a Licensed Marriage Family Therapist seeing individuals and couples in New York City at Mental Health Counseling & Marriage And Family Therapy Of New York. He is also the author of "Absolutely Should-less: The Secret to Living the Stress-Free Life You Deserve."



2 comments:

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

Loved this Damon. I've seen it happen and done it myself. Swiped someone through. It just sometimes alleviates aggravation that builds up in life. A simple act like that could maybe keep those shootings and assaults down to a minimum :)