Friday, March 6, 2009

How to Have Your Best Recession EVER Tip #11


Stay in the Present

I don't know about you but I will admit that 96% of my worry comes from thinking about what's going to happen in the future. What if I lose my job, what if I don't have money, what if the market gets even worse, what if my building catches on fire, what if those poor polar bears become extinct, what if Oprah never calls me ... you know the drill.

The Recession could add fuel to the spark in my already worried mind, if I give it that power. Fortunately I have been learning the value of staying present in the here and now. When I stop the mind churning and actually slow down to pay attention to what is happening NOW, TODAY, things look pretty bright. Today I have a job. Today I have a home. Today I have food. Today I have health. Today I have a blog that 13 people will read, and if I'm lucky one or two will even leave a comment! See, I already feel better.

Some tips I have found to help stay present when my scattered mind begins to entertain catastrophic ideas about the future include:

Snapping a rubber band on my wrist
Taking deep deep breaths
Playing music on my (now functioning) iPod,
Running on the treadmill at the gym

Leading a group at work

Mediation / Yoga

Writing in my journal

Studying a spiritual text


And there are many many others. Staying focused on the present can be a very hard thing to do at first. But just like any muscle in your body - the more you work it the stronger it gets. This is an important tool for managing stress even in the best of economic times. I guarantee that if you learn the precious habit of staying focused in the present, then you will absolutely have your Best Recession EVER!

No comments: