Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Finding The Quality of Equality

History was made this past month when President Obama endorsed same-sex marriage in the United States.  There has been much media coverage and celebration of this courageous and progressive statement.  But what I find missing in all the arguments around same-sex marriage is how people intend to maintain the quality of their equality.  In a country where over half of heterosexual marriages end in divorce, do GLBT couples truly want to replicate the exact same dynamics?  Or is there a way to change the approach to couple-hood so that all relationships can be politically and emotionally satisfying?

Of course I am completely supportive of equal marriage rights for all.  But I am also in favor of couples becoming better educated, more prepared, and further counseled about taking this legal step in their relationship.  I believe that Marriage Family Therapists like myself would see a lot less business if people learned basic relationship skill sets before they committed to a lifetime together.  My psychotherapy practice assists individuals and couples in learning effective and proactive tools that can be easily implemented outside the therapy room, so that relationships remain a source of empowerment, fulfillment, and fun.

I have always believed that arts and entertainment, especially theater, can be a great source of learning and reflection. To that end, I am thrilled to be facilitating a panel discussion after "A Dance For Rylie" on Wednesday, June 13th, at 45 Bleecker Street, at 5pm.  This innovative and groundbreaking musical examines the political and medical intricacies of a serodiscordant relationship (meaning one is HIV positive and the other is HIV negative).  It demonstrates the essential role of compassion, communication, and compromise, in building and sustaining a long term and joyful union.  I hope you will join me on June 13th, or any one of the other performances, for this beautiful and eloquent play.  The tickets are only $18, and are on sale here.  

The biggest mistake one can make in a relationship is to wait until it's over to ask for help.  Would you wait until the house burned down to call the fire department?  Then please consider how counseling can help you maintain the quality of your equality before the arguments, the resentments, and the anger build up.  To discuss further, please feel to reach me at Shouldless@gmail.com, or call at 347-227-7707.  If you or anyone you know wants to see a video profile of my work, please check out my Therapick page. 

I hope your summer is starting "should-less"!  Let me know how I can help. 

No comments: